Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Dancing With The Stars - A Teacher's Perspective on the Season Finale


By Debra Stroiney

I would like to say congratulations to all of the finalists; they all looked great the two nights they performed. Congrats to Brooke Burke and Derek Hough for taking home the mirror ball trophy. Brooke improved as well as remained strong and consistent in her dancing each week. Regardless of what I think about how the judges scored her and others, she did well with the dancing and it should be something she pursues more of in the future. Her natural talent for dance did come through. I am sure there will be another contestant in the next season that they will also think highly of from the start and can do no wrong while others work their butts off and get insulted. It is the drama of the show! I am glad that Derek finally had the pleasure of winning after witnessing his sister and best friend do so in previous seasons.

I was happy with the scoring and format of the show - a group type dance, a free style dance and then picking their best dance of the season. The only problem with picking the best dance is the scoring stayed almost the same as the first time but it gave some the chance to pick up their scores. It’s also interesting that Samba was the dance they had to do since it was one of the hardest and the one that all of the finalists did not dance well previously. I am glad they challenged them in the final. I enjoyed all of the freestyle dances and they all had their strong points in one way or another.

I really had no idea who was going to win. I knew that the scores were close and it was going to come down to the votes. I realized as I was watching one of the three finalists about to be eliminated that I would be happy with any of the 3 as winners. I think all of them deserved it in some way and each brought their own style to the floor.

I am sure many of you missed watching it last night and we are all looking forward to who will be on the next season as to what will happen!

No comments: