Friday, October 10, 2008

Dancing With The Stars Recap - Week 3


By Jackie Josephs


Yet again, this week brought drama and injuries!! I was so saddened when I saw that Misty had to cut from the competition. She was really growing into a favorite of mine. I hope that she is able to come back and performs for us one last time and that her surgery and healing process goes well!!!

DANCES: VIENNESE WALTZ/JIVE
Susan and Tony (Jive):
First of all, let me comment on how cute she and Tony looked in their costumes!! Besides that, considering she hurt her ankle earlier in the day, she did a pretty good job doing all of those kicks and hops throughout the dance. She was a little slow and behind the timing. Her sailor shuffles, which is a Jive/Swing element, were rough. The choreography was a great mixture of kicks, flicks and tricks, which really matched the song well!! Her energy was a little low, as well as her confidence, which Bruno commented on. However, overall she did a great job with her injury and all!!

Warren and Kym (V. Waltz): I have loved Warren from the beginning and he made me love him even more after his performance tonight. I am so amazed that a football player of his stature is able to move around the floor with such ease and finesse. His posture and frame were much better and his footwork was very well done with heel leads and all. He really set the mood for this whimsical, romantic dance, and you can’t help but love his “concentration” face! The only thing that bothered me was he was a little “hoppy” in some areas. But, overall I loved it all: the choreography, the costume and his dancing of course!!

Toni and Alec (V. Waltz): I have to be honest: she really has not been one of my favorites thus far, and tonight was no different. Their risk of costumes and overall idea was too much for me and was quite distracting. She was off balance a lot, which I’m assuming the dress did not help with, and her frame was weak and moved a lot throughout the dance. Her footwork was sloppy and I just found the whole thing very odd. 22 was way too high in my opinion.

Cloris and Corky (Jive): All I can say is HILARIOUS!!!!! No matter what Corky comes up with it cracks me up. Her quirky movements and tricks were hysterical and the wig coming off made the dance. She definitely embodies the saying,“the show must go on.” She never gave up or stopped dancing and neither did Corky!!!

Julianne and Cody (Jive): I was excited that he got Jive and not V. Waltz so we could really see his energy and youthfulness let loose, but unfortunately for me he held back tonight. I felt that his timing and rhythm were very good and some of his lines were really nicely demonstrated. BUT… the routine was repetitious, like the judges said, and he did count out loud which is a pet peeve of any dancer or judge. His quick foot movements were nice though, and he kept that smile plastered on his face which made his energy seem consistent. Overall, he needs to use his young age to his advantage and not hold back; if he does that, he can bring a whole new spin to the competition.

Brooke and Derek (V. Waltz): By far the best dance of the evening! Her 28 was well deserved. Through all that fighting and arguing that she and Derek had throughout the week of rehearsals, she came out there and blew the judges, as well as myself, away. She is such a beautiful woman and is so glamorous on the dance floor. She was smooth and everything looked very natural; nothing looked forced or awkward. Her arms and legs were beautiful and her musicality was amazing. I hope to see many more 10s for her in the coming weeks!! Awesome job, Derek!

Rocco and Karina (V. Waltz): Poor Rocco. Again, he tried so hard with the blindfold and all, but just didn’t cut it tonight. His frame was a mess and there was no fluidity to his movement. He needs to slow down his steps. He needs to understand that by lowering into his legs and taking bigger steps, he will actually use more of the music and also move a lot more around the floor. He did improve, but at this stage of the competition, he really needs to step it up!

Maurice and Cheryl (Jive): This guy looked slick in his turquoise jacket and rhinestones, eye-catching for sure. His Jive tonight was great, his posture was much improved, and his foot work was much better as well. The choreography was challenging, yet clean, which surprised me for Cheryl because usually her routines tend to look the same from season to season. It was nothing but pure energy and fun, fun, fun!!!

Lance and Lacey (V. Waltz): Ugh Lance. I really thought that he was going to bring a really cool boy band flavor to the show, but he has been quite a letdown in my eyes. His frame was a mess, his shoulders were up, and his elbows were falling. Not to mention the fact that his footwork was unclear and ploppy. In comparison to everything else, his head carriage was better, which made him look nice and tall in his nice grey suit, but his rise and fall throughout the dance was distracting and hoppy. Although he didn’t totally blow me away, his movement was pretty good and the choreography matched the music well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you can appreciate what Cloris can do, rather than focusing on what she can't. So many fans of the show seem offended that she's there. I like your approach. Take each dance on its own terms and merits, while still having a great eye for the details of the dance forms. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

I think Cloris has continued the horrible idea that seniors are funny when they're raunchy and bad. I think Tom's comments are ageist, and so is Corky's choreography.

Wouldn't Susan be better if she extended her arms more?

Love Warren, too.

I do like Toni. Not sure why the costume was a risk. There are a lot of outrageous costumes on this show.

Cody's problem here was Julianne's choreography. The content stopped. Bad Julianne.