Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Dancing Life - Judging & Coaching In NY, FL, and AZ

By Stanley McCalla, US Ten Dance Finalist, Fred Astaire National Smooth Champion, FADS National Coach and Adjudicator, FADS National Dance Board Member

During a span of ten days, I judged a beginner’s competition in White Plains, spent a few days in Boca Raton, Florida coaching, and finally ended in Scottsdale, Arizona for Antoinette Benevento’s June competition. I’d like to share my experiences with you, which was nothing less than perfect… oh well, maybe close.

White Plains Beginner’s Competition

It has been awhile since I judged one of those and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The students and their teachers were literally having a ball in a packed, spacious room full of rowdy spectators. The highlight of the day for me was the Trophy Ball where at least 10-15 students received their certifications after being showcased by their teachers. The Trophy System is, no doubt, at the core of our business. As a person who has gone that route, I strongly encourage all of our students to get their certification through the Trophy System as this will surely help improve their dancing.
This event was superbly organized. To Laura and Armando Martin, I say: “WELL DONE.”

Boca Raton, Florida

Coaching in Boca was like working in paradise, if there is such a thing. Although it wasn’t the first time that I’ve been to that spacious studio, I felt that my job was the best in the world as the owners, Jean-Marc and Pam Casanave, greeted and treated me like royalty. The teachers were very professionals and eager to learn, which is an excellent attitude for success. The students were like sponges…they wanted knowledge. I loved them all.

To the students there, I say: You belong to a great studio. Listen to your teachers and the managers as they will take you to the path of brilliance.

To the teachers and owners, I say: “Bravo.”

Scottsdale, Arizona

The Hilton Hotel, which housed the two-day dance competition, was by all standards a five-star hotel with amenities to boot. Antoinette Benevento, with the help of Tim Bohnett, did nothing but live up to her legendary reputation as an organizer and host. The competition itself was well run, even running ahead of schedule sometimes. I judged some very good talent within both the student and teacher ranks.

Saturday evening’s festivities included three Closed Professional competitions and a delightful show by a top United States Latin couple, Jurga Pupelyte & Vaidas Skimelis. I was personally floored by their rendition of passion (a medley of modern and Latin). To me, this competition was a great example of how Fred Astaire is taking the lead in the dance business industry, through personalities like Antoinette Benevento.

To Antoinette, Tim Bonhett, Bill - who incidentally did a great job MCing, the DJ, and many others not mentioned here, I say: I take my hat off to you (chapeau bas).

To the teachers and students, I say: Congratulations! Come and show your stuff at the National Competitions. The rest of the country needs to see what Arizona is made of.

1 comment:

Fred Astaire Dance Studios, Inc. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.