Thursday, February 16, 2012

Strictly Dancing




~by Carmen Champagne



I have a free Friday night!

What to do, what to do?

Stay home and watch a movie with
Ben & Jerry?

No.

Go out for drinks at a bar where the sports announcers on the multiple TVs do battle with the music piping through the overhead speakers?

I don’t think so.

No, tonight I’m going dancing.

It never dawned on me that regularly scheduled social dance parties would be the norm at Fred Astaire Dance Studios. But in hindsight, it makes perfect sense. If you are learning how to dance, you want the opportunity to practice…and not just to the radio in your kitchen. The intuitive instructors at Fred Astaire know this and provide the perfect setting to dance the night away…

Off is the fluorescent lighting in the studio this evening. Instead, festive, clear twinkle lights line the walls and small spot lights are strategically placed creating a warm and festive vibe. Music is playing, refreshments are laid out and the waiting area is filled with students, the teachers welcoming and greeting all. I am not sure how the evening is going to go, but I slip into my sandals and make my way towards the group. I feel a tap on my shoulder just then and turn around to find Tobi asking if he might have a dance. Of course!



The evening passed in a delightful whirlwind. Cha-chas, tangos, rumbas and waltzes. I danced with Tobi and the other teachers. I danced with students of various skill levels. I danced all night. And as I twirled around from partner to partner, I got to learn a little bit about them. The mood was light and easy. This was not the time for instruction and rules of learning. This was the time to enjoy dance. Purely. And honestly, I had the time of my life.




Stay tuned for the final episode of Champagne Social, Friday February 17th
!

Stay up on all things Fred Astaire. Like us on Facebook!

No comments: