No matter what level of experience your dancing is, there is always room for improvement. Professional dancers spend their entire careers perfecting their technique and so should you. After all, technique is what separates the best dancers from average dancers. Always remember that perfecting the skills you already know is just as important as learning new moves.
Here are a few tips to help you dance your way into better and more professional moves:
- Perfect your posture: Dance is all about body language and movements. Posture is extremely vital for a dancer’s success as well as the delivery of each dance’s story.
- Watch other dancers for inspiration: Watching old dance movies or professional competitions can be extremely helpful. Pay attention to their technique, posture and body alignment and make a mental note to incorporate these into your own dance style.
- Find a great instructor: Having the right dance teacher to correct your mistakes and help teach you new steps can really help perfect your skills.
- Exercise: Make your moves look more effortless by building muscle. Make your jumps look stronger, your turns more balanced and your moves more graceful, all by exercising your whole body.
- Eat right: As a dancer, your body needs to be healthy from the inside-out. A healthy, well-balanced diet can help you feel more energized.
- Don’t just dance it, feel it: Dancing is all about telling a story with your body. Facial expressions are extremely important in portraying what you want to say without using actual words. Don’t just focus on the steps – put your feelings into it. If it’s a happy, upbeat song make big sharp movements and smile. If it’s a sad or emotional dance, make sure your facial expressions represent that.
- Practice makes perfect: Don’t practice until you get it right, practice until you can’t get it wrong! Practice, practice, practice!
- Stretch: A great dancer makes difficult moves look effortless. Stretching daily will make your body more flexible and help make your moves look more graceful.