Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dancing Tips - Dancing Did It For Me! What About You?

By Stanley McCalla, Fred Astaire dance board member & National coach and adjudicator

I started dancing some 25 years ago when I was 12 ha-ha… I wish. Anyway, before this all started, I saw a couple performing a dance show at a club during a Christmas Holiday party.

They were rhythmic and proficient, and I thought for a moment that I perhaps could some day do that as well. After offering my congratulations, I asked them where they learned their fantastic craft. “Fred Astaire” came the reply from the male partner. To which I responded naively, "Who is that?” I was so young and so unknowledgeable these days, coming from a different country and all. The couple continued bragging about the Fred Astaire Dance studio on 5th Avenue in New York City.

To make a long story short, I called the studio two months later and registered for some lessons. For the first six months however, although I was learning and felt good about my progress, I was afraid of showing up at a Guest Party or taking part in a showcase for that matter. Why? Because I truly was concerned about not making a fool of myself in front of other people.

Well, that changed!

My teacher at the time - the most beautiful blond that I can remember - took me to her supervisor Mr. Pike, who in turn made a deal that changed the course of events: I was offered 2 free entries to the regional competition if I registered in the next small program. With Dorothy holding my arm gently and with her smiling blue eyes that could melt me any minute, I chose to say yes.

The competition went great, that is, I did not black out, succumbing to my fears. However, noticing 6 couples on that floor besides us, I could not stop my trembling cheeks, nor prevent my lips sticking to my teeth. By some divine intervention, I managed to win both the Rumba and the Meringue that I signed for. Needless to say, my confidence shot up to Mt Everest… well not quite. The result of this competition was such that four young female students at the studio lined up to partner with me at the next National Competition in Miami Beach, Florida, an event that was equally successful for me.

Every year that Fred Astaire holds an event of that caliber, I reminisce and thank my teachers and supervisor for having giving me the nudge since I don’t know if I would be where I am today without it.

This coming April, Fred Astaire is holding their biggest ever competition at the Luxor in Vegas. I am here to proudly encourage you all to join and be part of this historic moment. If you are still undecided about joining, if you think that you are not ready yet, or that you are too much of a beginner, or just like the younger me, you are afraid of testing the waters, my advice is: JUST DO IT. You will have a great experience and an historic time. And who knows, just like me, your life could change for the better.

Happy New Year to you all!

Stanley McCalla

No comments: