Thursday, November 06, 2008

A Student's Perspective: Looking Back On 10 Years With Fred Astaire

Mr. Jack Rothweiler, the President & CEO of the Fred Astaire Dance Studios, recently received this letter from a long-time student in New Jersey:


Dear Mr. Rothweiler:

On September 22nd 2008, I celebrated my 10th anniversary in dance and as a member of the Fred Astaire family.

So here is my story:

In the summer of 1998, I was preparing to go on a cruise. I thought it would be a good idea to learn a few dance steps. I scheduled a free lesson at both another chain and at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio of Ridgewood, NJ. I went to the lesson at the other chain and had a good time with Christine. The next night I had a lesson scheduled at FADS. I was having problems at work. I called up the studio and talked to the manager (Mr. John Penatello). He asked if I could make a 9:30 p.m. lesson. Little did I know it was the luckiest day of my life that I was able to make it.

I got to the studio and met the manager and studio director, Jean Penatello (a former undefeated US champion). Then I was introduced to the teacher. This was the first time I met Christina. From the very beginning you could tell that this was a very special young lady. I could also tell she was a much better dancer and teacher than Christine. We hit it off right away.

At the end of the lesson, I realized that the FADS studio I was going to was much better than the other studio, and I signed up for their 5 lesson special.

I started working on their Social Foundation Program. I attended my first Studio Party on October 2nd, 1998. At the party, the studio owner, Charlie Penatello, announced that the FADS NY/NJ and New England regions would be holding a competition. He told us that we would be competing against people of our own experience and age. So it didn’t matter if you’ve 100 lessons or 50 lessons or 25 lessons, 10 lessons, or even 5. And then out of the depths of the studio came a shout saying “OR EVEN 3.” Of course, that was Christina and by the end of the night I signed up for my first competition.

I went on the cruise on November 1st and at every opportunity I was on the dance floors, most of the time in the middle of the day, practicing my steps.
I came back to the studio on November 9th and started to get ready for the Tri-State Championships on Nov. 12-15th. I had a blast at the comp (even though when I look back at the tape I cringe about how bad I was).
That was the start of my life as a member of the Fred Astaire family.

Through dozens of regional competitions, four national competitions, hundreds of entries, thousands of lessons and coachings with some of the finest dancers in this country, from my first showcase “Whatever Lola Wants” to my most recent “When you good to MAMA,” this has been a great 10 years.

To my mentors and coaches, Charlie and Jeannie Penatello, thank you guys. You are the best. You have been there at every stage of my development with positive reinforcement and encouragement. When I’ve gotten down on myself, punched out the wall, or just needed to talk, you have always been there to help me through it.

To my teacher for these last 10 years, Christina Penatello: Sunshine, you are a great dancer, a wonderful teacher, and a good friend. I take so much pride and joy in seeing you grow into the Champion you are and one of the most special people I have ever meet. The Fred Astaire organization is very lucky to have you as part of it.

So, Jack, thank you for allowing me to be part of the Fred Astaire family. I can’t even start to tell you the impact it has had on my life.

So let’s start on the next 10 years.

Sincerely, Carl Gottlieb

No comments: