Monday, November 24, 2008

Dancing With The Stars - A Teacher's Perspective on Week 9


By Debra Stroiney
I think this was a very exciting semi-final! The judges made a complete turn around and scored and judged them as if it were a semi-final. Many of their comments were ones that should have been made in other weeks of the competition. Well, at least they are doing it in the finals when it is down to the wire and the dancers need to prove that they deserve to win. I am glad that they recognized that Brooke had a bad dance; with the way they have scored her in the past, I was wondering if they were going to mark her higher than what her performance deserved. And they scored everyone fairly that night…

I am not surprised that Cody was eliminated from the show this week. When comparing his performances to the other dancers, they were lacking although they were still danced and performed well. I think that he has the potential of being a great dancer but he is still young and it takes time to develop some of the things that are needed for ballroom dancing. His scores reflected his performances and sometimes the votes can’t save you from elimination when all the contenders were scored that much higher.

I find that Warren is going to start to get a good chunk of the audience vote because everyone seems to love him. No matter how much his technique might be off, he goes out there and really puts on a show. He is fun to watch and that just might win it for him.

For the dancing ,it’s going to be down to Brooke and Lance. Brooke developed her ballroom abilities faster but Lance has definitely caught up. If Lance keeps up the quality dancing and adds the showmanship and musicality that he has had all along, regardless of audience votes, he will be the winner. I think that Brooke is also great at performing as well as dancing cleanly with the correct technique. Maybe it is what I prefer to watch but there is something about her dances that are not as exciting as Lance and Warren’s. There is some piece of showmanship and entertainment value that is missing. I am surprised this week that Len gave her a 10 whereas the other two judges who have always been her fans gave her the lower of the scores.

I am really interested in seeing the dances they come up with this week for the finals. They are going to be playing to their strengths and it could get interesting. So I guess it will come down to who displayed their strengths the best and outperformed the others while also who gets the votes. I have to admit I have not voted all season but I am going to have to this week!

No comments: