Thursday, October 02, 2008

Dancing With The Stars - A Teacher's Perspective on Week 2


Dancing with the Stars –Week 2

By Debra Stroiney


So I realized that some of my math was wrong last week regarding how many lessons the stars may have before the first show. Regardless, we don’t know how much they are actually practicing and what they are doing compared to what has been edited for television. Now, on this past episode, it was stated that most have 3 days to learn their dance and routine, and the 4th day is used for blocking the cameras and stage, although there still may be some rehearsal time for actual dancing. So let’s try the math again. 3 days at a possible 4 hours a day equals 12 lessons. Again, we don’t know as much about the backgrounds of each star other than what they tell us. There are some stars that may have the time to practice 8 hours a day and some may not. But 3 days is still a very short amount of time to learn some of these dances and perform them the way that is needed.

Being trained to teach at Fred Astaire has allowed me to use a system of teaching that helps students make progress with their dancing. Fred Astaire himself said that there are no natural dancers; it is a skill that can be learned. I do believe this because I never ballroom danced until 4 years ago. That is why I try to do the same with my own students. Now have you ever had an instructor tell you that you are not ready to learn the Paso Doble, or that we can’t teach you hip action right away because you just won’t get it? They were correct in telling you this. I was watching this week and I realized that in only their 2nd week on the show they had to perform two more difficult dances. I then remembered on the first week they had to perform a Quickstep!


On Dancing with the Stars, there is no system of teaching. Therefore, when you walk into a studio after seeing a show and you ask to learn the Quickstep the instructors discourage you from it. There needs to be fundamental elements that you learn before you tackle a dance like the Quickstep. This also applies to the Paso Doble and Rumba.


The Paso Doble is all character and technique; if you do the steps alone, it only looks like marching. I was impressed with many of the Paso Doble routines on the show this week. I think everyone carried it off well for the training they had. On the other hand, those who dance Rumba gave away that they only had three to four days to practice and learn their routine. Many of the routines were good with some difficult tricks and poses. But, if you look really closely, you will notice that many did not have any hip action. There is only so much you can learn at one time. This is what the judges meant if they said they were stiff or did not have fluidity from one movement to another. If you also look closely, you will notice that the professional dancers did most of the work in the rumba routines. But there are a lot of tricks they are doing to cover up any lack of hip action and fluidity.


I am frequently surprised at some of the steps the professionals teach the stars for their routines. You would be surprised to know some of them are high level international steps not usually taught to someone who has only been dancing for about seven weeks.

I am so impressed by Warren. He really goes out there to perform and moves well. I hope everyone sees that it does not matter what size you are - anyone can dance if they learn how to develop their own balance and body awareness. Take a chance and try it. I bet you he is lighter on his feet than some people who are half his size.

OK, we all know that Cloris is not matching up to the other dancers on this show but lets give her a little credit. She is 82 years old!!!!!!! I wish the judges wouldn’t be so hard on her sometimes. I know that she doesn’t compare to the other dancers and they have to score that accordingly but I would just like to say if she was dancing at a regional competition where there are age categories she would be doing just fine. I think that Corky is doing a great job with her and giving her age appropriate routines. I truly hope, as many of us probably do, that I am alive, dancing and having fun at that age.

On the opposite end of the age spectrum we have Cody. I am also impressed with him because he seems comfortable with his body and how to move it. I have taught teenagers and at first you see their awkwardness as they are learning how to be comfortable in their own skin. But the best thing about that is they learn so quickly and can usually learn to overcome this giving them a confidence to deal with their teenage years. I am sure that Cody displays this confidence due to being a performer.

Speaking of being a performer before participating on this show, I urge you to make a connection between those with previous performance or other dance experience. In this season, Lance and Toni stand out as the performers to me. From being in the music industry, both have a connection with the music and know how to use the music to move around the stage. They may not always show traditional ballroom techniques and character but they are putting on a show that is enjoyable. Lance and Lacey are definitely not traditional but I have to say they are my favorites because of their entertainment value. Through the seasons, there have been many couples that do not have traditional ballroom routines. Also, if you want traditional ballroom routines then pick traditional ballroom music! The professionals are choreographing the dance to the music they are given. I don’t think that the judges should be criticizing the performers for that, if anything it is using their creative talents to make it work for them. In my opinion, the last time I heard it the song “I kissed a girl” was a Swing not a Paso Doble. In fact it was played as a Swing at the last New England Regional Fred Astaire competition. These performers sometimes have an advantage over the ones that don’t. I am happy to see when a professional is in tune with the background of their star and uses their strengths and develop their performance as opposed to forcing them into a character they're not comfortable with.

I think we have a tough competition ahead and I am curious to see who the judges keep marking low.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I probably couldn't do what these people do when they sign up for Dancing with the Stars, but who knows what would happen if I could block out 16 hours a week on my schedule to learn these dances and perform...it is their job, after all, and they wouldn't agree if they couldn't fit it into their schedules. I think it's a great show and allows many TV stars to show their true personalities.