Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dancing With The Stars Recap - Week 4


By Jackie Josephs

Dances: Tango and Samba

Susan and Tony (Tango)
: Wow! This was definitely her best dance so far. Her dramatic character throughout the dance gave it a great Tango feeling, and her passion was excellent as well. Her footwork was fabulous: heel leads on every step and staying low in her knees. Her frame was also great and her head carriage on the promenades really impressed me - great form. She did fantastic tonight. I’m so happy for Tony…hopefully we will see more of this side of Susan next week, too.

Warren and Kym (Samba): Another great dance tonight! I think the judges were a little too rough on him. He had great momentum and fluid movement around the floor. He was even doing arm styling, which is usually difficult for men to do!!! On the down side, he did take heel leads the whole time, which is not what you are supposed to do in a Latin or Rhythm dance ever, so that disappointed me. Overall, the judges were correct that Kym could have made the choreography more challenging for him because he is a great dancer. But great job either way.

Cloris and Corky (Tango): She proved tonight that she CAN dance for real!!!!! Cloris did AMAZING tonight…I was astonished at what I saw. Her footwork was good as well as her emotion and passion with the music. Her legs lines were beautiful; I can’t believe how flexible she is with all those kicks and rondes! She even had correct head carriage and frame. Corky has done such an impressive job with her. She definitely deserved her 22!!!!

Toni and Alec (Samba): I’m really perplexed on why the judges are being so complimentary to Toni. I again found her costume too risqué and it really made her footwork and leg lines stick out in a negative fashion. She was pigeon toed throughout the majority of the dance and her legs never brushed together, which was distracting. She also seemed like she forgot the choreography at one point and the rest of it was sloppy. She did shake it well and her shoulders were down which is an improvement for her. But overall, her musicality was off and the dance was messy.

Cody and Julianne (Tango): I felt that he looked really mature and sophisticated tonight! His fast feet in the promenade, elements and the tricks they did with him on the knee were great. However, his frame was eschew, his shoulders were up, and his head was slightly to the right. They also almost fell in the pivots...eek! But he was very confident, focused and dramatic in his Tango, which covered up some of those mistakes!

Brooke and Derek (Samba): Brooke has obviously been my favorite thus far and still is, but I felt that her Samba was her weakest dance so far. She was just a little robotic in some parts, and not as natural as I’ve seen in the past. But, her feet were pretty the whole time, no awkward moments, and her ronde was great. She had beautiful extension and point! She was sexy, sensual, and had great feeling the whole way through. I think the choreography was cute with Derek being “stripped” the whole time. Fabulous job!!

Rocco and Karina (Samba): Well, I think we have finally come to the week that Rocco is going to go home. He was off time and there was no musicality whatsoever. The costume trick was messy and he had no Samba technique, compared to the others that are dancing. BUT, he came out onto that floor and had fun and had nothing to lose. His energy was up and he was trying to shake his hips. My favorite part of the routine was his knee walks. Those are way harder than they look, so he did a great job with that!

Maurice and Cheryl (Samba): I think the judges were too hard on him tonight as well. I felt he had a great understanding of what the Samba was about: hips, energy, fun, etc. His Samba walks were great and his feet have gotten so much better than the first week…no longer turned in, thank goodness! He also had great musicality and body rhythms the whole time. It could have been a little cleaner and more precise but he was much cleaner than Toni and deserved a much higher score than an 18.

Lance and Lacey (Tango): I’m very confused every time I watch these two dance together. There is something I really don’t like about them, but then there is something that is very unique that I do like. His frame was much better tonight and his pivots really impressed me. He stayed low into his knees and kept his frame pretty still throughout the whole set. The whole routine was creepy but it did match the song “Disturbia” well. He had great character and sharp movements, which is exactly what the Tango is about. But Lacey really distracts me and goes a little too far over the edge. I think a 26 was a little too high for them tonight.

No comments: