Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Dancing Tips - Cuban Motion

By Stanley Mc Calla, US 10 Dance Finalist, Fred Astaire National Smooth Champion, Fred Astaire National Dance Board Member, Coach and Adjudicator, Fred Astaire Dance Board Examiner

Hello there! I hope everything is well with you. A competition that I recently judged gave me the inspiration to revisit an article that I had submitted to you in the past.

While judging during that weekend of competition, I found myself rocking from foot to foot to an array of rhythmical melodies that were simply infectious to the soul. The energy projected and the fun expressed by the dancers brought me a nostalgic feeling that I couldn’t control. All the while I felt my essence swaying my body from left to right along with the competitors at the same time I was unconsciously wanting to help some of them with a better use of foot, leg and body action.

That’s why today I want to talk to you about Cuban motion and how you can practice it.

Cuban motion is described as the lateral motion of the hips which occurs as a result of the flexing and straightening of the knees and never a conscious swing of the hips. You can use this technique in the Rumba, Bolero, Mambo, Cha Cha, Merengue, and Salsa, to name a few.

Stand with your back straight, your shoulders lined up over your hips, your center pulled toward your spine, feet together with toes turned out. You should feel that your weight is poised towards the balls of your feet. Start by bending one knee at a time, and then straighten it. While doing this, you should control the movement through the center of your body. In order to feel your center, tighten your stomach muscles as well as your plexus muscle.

You should then feel the natural and lateral motion of your hips. If you don’t, then your posture is incorrect.

Once you feel the correct motion, try to use the same principle by taking a small step to the side with your left foot then slowly close your right foot to your left foot. All the while, remember your posture, the center, and bending and straightening your knees one at a time.

Make sure that you confirm what you’re doing with your teacher.

Until next time, happy dancing!

Cheers,

Stanley McCalla

No comments: