Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Did You Know?

George Balanchine, one of the 20th century's foremost choreographers, a pioneer of ballet in the United States, and co-founder of the New York City Ballet, once said this about Mr. Fred Astaire:

"I will tell you something that maybe will make you laugh. It should not. I am serious. The male dancer I like to watch, really the only one I like to watch, is an American -- Fred Astaire. He is the most interesting, the most inventive, the most elegant dancer of our times. I don't mean classical, of course, but dancing; he's so good at it that he ought to have a statue. I mean that absolutely. ... He is like Bach, who in his time had a great concentration of ability, essence, knowledge, a spread of music. Astaire has that same concentration of genius; there is so much of the dance in him that it has been distilled."

No comments: