Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Student's Perspective

Sixteen-year-old Savanna Michael is a dancer at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter, FL.

When did you start dancing?
5 years ago, in Ohio.

Why did you become a dancer at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter?
Two years ago, I came to Florida for a long vacation with my mom. I took a few lessons at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Jupiter while I was on vacation. I liked it, actually loved it, so I decided to stay with this studio. I come to train here every other month and spend most of my time in the studio; I go back to Ohio. I spend one month in Florida taking lessons, and one month in Ohio practicing.

What did you want to become a dancer?
The movie “Dance with Me” inspired me to take lessons. I hated the first year because I felt I did not know anything, and then later I started to like it.

What goals were you hoping to achieve through dancing?
I started to set goals for the first time when I started to dance at this studio. I realized that I wanted to become a professional dancer and that I would like to open my own Fred Astaire Dance Studio when I am older.

How did dancing better your life?
It is keeping me in shape; it made me stronger, improved my posture, and I am not as shy as I used to be when I started. I am a lot more outgoing with my friends and I feel I became a better person.

Did your personal expectations for your dancing change since you started?
Oh yeah! The first year I hated it. I had no goals; I did it just for the exercise. Now I love it! I want to become a professional, I want to improve more and I want to have more understanding of the sport.

What kind of activities do you take part in at Fred Astaire Jupiter? I dance at regional and national competitions. My biggest success so far was becoming 2nd at the World Pro/Am Junior Standard Championships and 5th at the World Pro/Am Junior Latin Championships at Ohio Star Ball. I have taken Top Youth Student at many Fred Astaire Regional and National Championships. My biggest competition yet was the Cross Country Dance Championships in Las Vegas last April. I also love to do Showcases and I perform at studio events like Holiday Galas and at some Friday practice parties. I participate in most of the events.

No comments: