Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It’s Never Too Late to Dance

An 88-year-old man is set to star in his first ballet show after taking up dance at the age of 79.

Grandfather to 11, John Lowe, of Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England, took up dancing having watched his daughter Alison become a professional dancer. The retired teacher said, "It's a wonderful thing to do and I can't understand why more men don't do it."

"I went to a dance school in the high street in Ely and asked if I could do tap and ballet and they said 'well of course you can' and I've been doing it ever since," Mr. Lowe said.

"I've got a rope at home that I use to pull my leg up higher. I'm lucky that I don't have any problem with the routines but that's because I exercise.
"There's nothing effeminate about it - you have to be incredibly fit to dance.
"I see these people crawling around , hunched over smoking a cigarette - they should be doing ballet."

Mr. Lowe was due to appear with the Lantern Dance Theatre Company, in Ely, on Sunday, Jan. 13 for a performance of Prokofiev's “The Stone Flower.” For the full text of the article, visit http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cambridgeshire/7185908.stm.

No comments: