Wednesday, January 02, 2008

From Ballet to Ballroom

From Ballet to Ballroom
An Interview with Marisa Noelle

By Theodore Bale
http://www.danceruniverse.com/

What sort of dance training prepared you for a career in ballroom?

I started at Boston Ballet, where I studied for over 12 years, and where I did "The Nutcracker" every year for a decade. It was a wonderful program. I also did modern, jazz, character, flamenco - all at Boston Ballet. That was at a time when the intensive program was very much intensive. There was also pointe work, variationsand partnering. When I was 17 I went to Butler University in Indiana, where I majored in dance performance with a concentration in teaching. Michelle Jarvis, Rochelle Zied-Boothand Marek Cholewa were my main teachers there. In my third year I was also accepted as an apprentice at Milwaukee Ballet, and after that I returned to Butler to finish my degree. Milwaukee Ballet is an amazing company; we did "Swan Lake" there and they liked me, since I learned the whole thing in a week. It's a trademark of mine, to learn things quickly and adapt myself.

You haven't mentioned any training in ballroom, when did that come in?

Well, I spent the next few years after college dancing and teaching in a variety of different companies. At the end of 2004, I slipped on the ice, just a simple accident, but I hurt my ankle. Doctors found a small fracture, and it impeded my pointe work. I was in a boot for about four months. I was looking at my options then with European companies, but since my foot was unstable, I was in flux. I had lost the pivot in my ankle, and in spring of 2005 I started doing salsa at Fred Astaire (Dance Studios). It was mostly for rehabilitation, but also for social reasons. I quickly fell in love with ballroom and made that my focus, not only as dance, but also to learn and teach professionally as well. Just this past year I became a professional.

What does "professional" mean in the context of ballroom?

As a performer, you can dance any time, at competitions and showcases and so forth. But you are considered professional only when you start teaching. Since I already had a degree in dance, I had learned all the syllabi, both International and American styles, and I'll be doing the exams soon.

Do you ever miss the ballet world?

I tried to get back to ballet, but after 30 minutes at the barre, my foot would cramp and ache. I knew it wasn't possible, but I wouldn't allow myself not to dance. I have to dance! I had never taught ballroom, but I knew that it involved a lot of pivoting and rotation in the foot, and after only six months I looked for a good partner. Eventually, I found Peter Kornel.

How did you fare as a couple at your first competitions?

Right away, we had success, winning silver, gold, and open gold divisions. We came in second in open gold in Ohio Star Ball of 2006. The first time I went there was in 2005, and that first year I competed in bronze and pre-silver, taking first in all five dances in pre-silver. To prepare, I had private lessons five times a week and six group classes each week. It's very expensive, time-consuming and not easy. People ask me how it was done, and I say by sheer will and determination. I was committed to my goal of becoming a professional ballroom dancer, and I was ready to do the work. I competed in Ohio, Nevada, Connecticut and Florida. Almost every day of the week I was in the studio taking private lessons with Peter. I made notes on all my sessions, and even videotaped myself. We learned three styles back-to-back: Rhythm, Latin and Smooth. I competed in all three, which is 15 routines to learn, by the way. I wanted to stay with the one I am best at, which is International Latin.


For the full text of the interview, log on to http://www.danceruniverse.com/stories/issues/200801/from-ballet-to-ballroom/index.html

No comments: